OrcaFlex Hardware Requirements
OrcaFlex can be installed and run on any computer that has:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. Both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows are supported.
- If you are using small fonts (96dpi) the screen resolution must be at least 1024×768. If you are using large fonts (120dpi) the screen resolution must be at least 1280×1024.
However, OrcaFlex is a powerful package and to get the best results we would recommend:
- A 64 bit edition of Windows.
- A powerful processor with fast floating point and memory performance. This is the most important factor since OrcaFlex is a computation-intensive program and simulation run times can be long for complex models.
- At least 4GB of memory. This is less important than processor performance but some aspects of OrcaFlex do perform better when more memory is available, especially on multi-core systems. If you have a multi-core system with a 64 bit version of Windows then you may benefit from fitting even more memory.
- A multi-core system to take advantage of OrcaFlex's multi-threading capabilities.
- As much disk space as you require to store simulation files. Simulation files vary in size, but can be hundreds of megabytes each for complex models.
- A screen resolution of 1280×1024 or greater.
- A DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with at least 256MB memory for the most effective use of the shaded graphics facility.
- Microsoft Excel (Excel 2010, or later) in order to use the OrcaFlex automation facilities. Both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Excel are supported although we strongly recommend the 64 bit version to avoid the severe constraints on memory usage of the 32 bit version.
More information on hardware choice for OrcaFlex can be found on our OrcaFlex benchmarking and hardware recommendations page.
OrcaFlex | Applications | Features | Screenshots | Videos | Demo | Examples | Documentation | Validation | Hardware Requirements